Prep Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time about 6 hours on low
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, chopped into 3cm chunks
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 green chillis, deseeded and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 25g piece of root ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Chopped coriander, to serve
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Whizz the onions, garlic, chillies, ginger and 3 tbsp of water in a food processor (or blender) until you have a paste. If you don’t have a blender, chop it as finely as you can.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan, and add the paste (or finely chopped mix of onions, garlic, chillies and ginger) over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the ground spices (garam masala, ground coriander, cumin and tumeric) or curry paste, and fry for a further 3-4 minutes until the onions turn a nice golden colour.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan, then add the can of chopped tomatoes. Refill the can halfway with water, and add that too. Season well with plenty of salt and pepper, then stir in the chicken and lemon juice. Check the thickness of the curry, then transfer to the slow cooker when you’re happy.
- Cook on low for up to six hours. Once cooked, check the seasoning and adjust if required. Serve with plenty of chopped coriander.