FOR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
- oil or shortening, for frying
- 6 -8 beef cutlets, tenderized (round or cube steak)
- 3 -4 cups seasoned flour (flour with savory seasonings of your choice or Seasoned Flour)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
FOR CREAM GRAVY
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon dripping, included the cooked bits
- 1 Heat about 1/4-1/2 inch of oil or shortening in a frying pan.
- 2 Beat eggs then combine with milk.
- 3 Dredge tenderized beef cutlets in flour, then egg-milk wash, then a second time in flour.
- 4 Place dredged cutlets into heated oil and fry until golden, about 10 minutes.
- 5 Turn steak over and cook for another 5 minutes or so until both sides are golden.
- 6 Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and allow to drain.
- 7 TIME TO MAKE THE GRAVY: Drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of drippings from the frying pan; leave all the cooked bits you can.
- 8 Combine flour and seasonings with milk, then pour into the pan with drippings and bits.
- 9 Continually stir/whisk the gravy over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- 10 Taste and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- 11 Serve generously over each piece of chicken fried steak.
- 12 Sop up any extra gravy with a biscuit.