- SERVES 12 TO 16
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup 7UP soda, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons 7UP soda
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat your oven to 315 degrees F. (yes, that says, 315!) Prepare a 10-cup Bundt pan with the nonstick method of your choice. I spray mine with nonstick spray just before scraping the batter into the pan.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter for 2 minutes on high speed. Slowly add the sugar and salt. Cream together for an additional 7 minutes, until very pale yellow and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, combining well after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Turn your mixer down to its lowest speed and slowly add the flour in 2 batches. Be careful not to overbeat. Pour in the 7UP and lemon extract. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix the batter just until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 75 to 85 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Let cool to room temperature. Lightly cover the cake with foil or plastic wrap so it does not dry out.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until the mixture is pourable. When the cake is completely cool, spoon the glaze over the cake and allow it to harden. Serve at room temperature.