- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- ½ cup diced onion (about ½ medium sized onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-32. oz. box of vegetable broth (chicken works too)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 package tortellini
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 1 Baguette
- Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Heat vegetable oil and add diced onion. Saute until onions are soft.
- Crumble Italian Sausage and garlic with the onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan.
- Slice baguette into ½ inch thick slices. Butter one side and place butter side down in a hot skillet until golden brown. Flip bread slices over and sprinkle with Parmesan while the other side gets golden brown. Transfer to a plate and immediately cover loosely with foil if cheese has not completely melted.
For a creamier soup, add a half cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream.