These are delicious and flavourful! They were a huge hit at our house. This was the first time the kids had stuffed peppers and they thought they were very neat! Will definitely be making these again soon. Next time I will try these with quinoa for something different.
I made mine with a mix of cheddar and mozzarella which made it really tasty! I love the cheesy goodness on top! This could also be made with ground pork or ground chicken. Would go great with some oven baked bread or a salad.
If you are following a low carb diet you can use low sugar sauces and either omit the rice or use cauliflower rice to make it a low carb meal!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Wow these are so yummy! One of my most popular recipes! These are a real treat on a cool day! Low carb version included.
* 6 large Bell Peppers Green and Red
* 1/2 pound ground beef
* 1/2 pound Italian Sweet Sausage
* 1/2 large onion
* 1 cup cooked Rice
* 1 tbs Italian seasoning
* Salt & Pepper to taste
* 1 can Italian style tomatoes
* 1 small can mushrooms drained
* 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1. Fill pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. Wash, stem and remove seeds from peppers. Place them in the boiling water and push them down to the bottom of the pot. Boil for 15-20 minutes (uncovered) until peppers are soft.
3. While peppers are boiling brown meat
4. Add onion, salt and pepper, and Italian Seasoning.
5. Once meat is browned and no longer pink, add tomato sauce, tomatoes, rice, and mushrooms to the meat mixture and stir gently.
6. Simmer on low for 15-30 minutes.
7. Line dish with aluminum foil, and spray with cooking spray.
8. Add peppers to dish and begin scooping meat mixture inside each pepper until it’s filled to the top. Leave enough room to add the cheese later.
9. Bake at 350 uncovered for 20 minutes or until you can see the edges turn a little brown.
10. Remove peppers and add cheese to the top of each one. Place back in the oven until cheese is melted completely, about 15 minutes depending on your oven.