Sweet Potato Crust
- 3 1/2 cups shredded sweet potatoes
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon flour (use gluten-free if needed)
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 green onion, sliced thin
- 2 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Sweet Potato Crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a 9 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof skillet with cooking oil.
- Place the shredded sweet potatoes in a bowl of water and toss around to release some of the starch.
- Drain and place the sweet potatoes in a clean towel and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Place the sweet potatoes back in the bowl, add in the egg white, flour, salt and pepper and toss until coated.
- Dump the sweet potato mixture into the prepared skillet and press into an even layer along the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and add in the quiche filling.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Heat a 9 inch cast iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Use kitchen scissors or a knife to cut the bacon into bite sized pieces and add them to the heated skillet.
- Cook the bacon until crisp then drain it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove the excess grease from the skillet, but don’t wipe clean.
- Add the green onions and spinach to the skillet and sauté until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the spinach and onions from the skillet and onto the plate with the bacon.
- Once the spinach has cooled enough to handle, squeeze out any excess liquid.
- In a large bowl whisk together all of the filling ingredients reserving 1/4 cup of the shredded cheeses.
- Pour the filling into the baked sweet potato crust and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Place the quiche in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is set and the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
* The filling for the quiche can be made the night before, covered and refrigerated. Whisk it before pouring into the crust.