- 6 medium beef blade steaks*
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbs fresh thyme, minced
- 1½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tbs oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In some parts of the country, blade steak is called “chicken steak.”
- Heat a heavy skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbs of the oil. Add the mushrooms; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking until mushrooms begin to brown. Remove from pan and place in the slow cooker.
- Return the pan to the heat. Season the steaks with salt & pepper. Add 1 tbs of oil and brown the blade steaks nicely. Remove to a plate and set aside
- Return the pan to the heat and add 2 tbs of the oil. Add the sliced onions, the thyme and the paprika. Stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for about 1 minute. Whisk in the sherry and chicken stock, scraping up all the browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Add the entire contents of the pan to the slow cooker.
- Place browned steaks on top of the mushroom/onion mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, HI for 4-5 hours.
- Remove steaks to a serving plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm. Stir the cream and parsley into the liquid. Heat for another 10 minutes. Ladle gravy over steaks and serve