Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 4hrs
Total Time:4 hrs 30 mins
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina pasta
- 4 cups boiling water
- 6 small bell peppers (about 5 oz each)
- 1/2 package (1 1/4-lb size) lean ground turkey (about 10 oz)
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni (about 2 1/2 oz)
- 1 can (15 oz) pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pizza cheese blend (6 oz)
- 1/2 cup water
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook pasta in 4 cups boiling water 3 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well. Meanwhile, cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top; reserve tops. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. To make peppers stand upright, cut thin slice off bottom of each.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook turkey and pepperoni over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Stir in pizza sauce, 1 cup of the cheese and the cooked pasta. Divide turkey filling among peppers.
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup water into cooker. Stand peppers upright in cooker; replace pepper tops. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove pepper tops; reserve. Top filling with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover; cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. To remove peppers from cooker, lift out with large slotted spoon, using tongs to support peppers (do not squeeze). Garnish with pepper tops.
- Any color of bell pepper works for this recipe. Red, yellow and orange peppers have a sweeter flavor and cook just a little more quickly than green peppers do.
- Plain mozzarella cheese would work fine in the recipe. Most pizza cheese blends also have some Parmesan cheese, which adds flavor.
- Orzo and rosamarina are rice- shaped pastas.