Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 5 hrs
Total Time :5 hrs 30 min
Servings : 8
3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/4 cup canned Muir Glen organic tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Progresso chicken stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, stems removed
- Spray 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining half of chicken. Reduce heat to medium; add onions to skillet, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and gingerroot; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garam masala; cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, and scrape bottom of skillet with wooden spoon. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours. At last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in whipping cream.
- Transfer to serving dish, and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve over rice, if desired.