Serves: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ pound 90% lean ground beef
- ½ pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed (about 2 sausages)
- ½ white onion, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Bay leaf
- 8lasagna noodles broken into pieces
- 8 ounces reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Cook lasagna noodles until according to package directions (al dente) and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add ground beef and Italian sausage and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Remove from pot and set aside. Drain fat from pot.
- Heat remaining olive oil. Add onion and sauté until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30-45 seconds longer.
- Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, sauce, paste, basil, oregano, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Stir in cooked beef and sausage mixture. Reduce heat to a low simmer for about 10 minutes longer. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl mix ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan and parsley flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. Bring to room temperature for serving.
- When ready to serve, divide up lasagna noodles between the bowls; discard bay leaf and ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of ricotta mixture and serve.
Note: If you like a thinner soup, add in more broth or water to thin out soup.
Serving size: ⅙ serving Calories: 500 calories Fat: 24 grams of fat