Lemon drop cookies, iced Italian cookies or anginetti, whatever your family calls them you’ll be sure to find these traditional Italian cookies at many special occasions and holiday cookie trays.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well. Add flour mixture, mix well until smooth texture. (dough will be a bit sticky) If dough seems light colored, add a drop or 2 of yellow food coloring. Chill dough until firm.
- With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a slightly greased cookie sheet, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.
- Combine the Icing ingredients in a bowl until just smooth. You want it more thick than thin, but still runny.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies into the glaze, then return to the wire rack, allowing the glaze to drip down the sides of the cookie.
- Top with sprinkles or a little lemon zest, while glaze is still wet.
- Store in an airtight container.
- * If you want to freeze the cookies, freeze unfrosted and frost once thawed.