yield: 15 (1 CUP) SERVINGS
- 8 slices center cut bacon
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 oz Russet potatoes, cubed (you can peel or not peel as long as you scrub!)
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of light butter (I use Land O’Lakes)
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 2 (15 oz each) cans of corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can creamed corn
- 2 oz canned diced green chilies
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Cook the bacon according to package directions until crisp. Remove the bacon slices to a stack of paper towels to dry. Chop or crumble the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred. Remove the cooked chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred or chop into small pieces. Replace the lid and continue to simmer the rest.
- Mix together the flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl until combined. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour a spoonful at a time to smoothly combine with the butter. Pour the half and half in a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to allow the roux to combine with the cream. Continue whisking and adding half and half until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the cooked chicken and the cream mixture into the soup pot and stir to combine. Add the canned and creamed corn and the diced chilies and stir. Bring the soup back to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes or so to allow the soup to thicken and the flavors to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each bowl of soup with sliced scallions and crumbled bacon when serving.
WEIGHT WATCHERS SMARTPOINTS:
6 per (1 cup) serving
183 calories, 20 g carbs, 7 g sugars, 6 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 2 g fiber