Servings : 6
3 lbs swiss steak, trimmed of fat
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
1 cup coffee
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 onions, sliced
to taste coffee, as needed
to taste soy sauce, as needed
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Do not pound or flour the meat. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, then sear meat on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a large roasting pan, combine soy sauce, coffee, bay leaves, garlic, oregano and one of the sliced onions.
- Transfer the browned meat to the roasting pan.
- Top with the second sliced onion.
- Cover and bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, basting every hour with pan juices.
- If the liquid begins to boil away, add another cup of coffee and a splash of soy sauce. You may need to repeat this procedure; there should be quite a bit of liquid.
- Cut the meat in thin slices and serve with pan juices.